Synchronization of brain waves and depression (article)

Владимир Никонов 2
Автор сайта
Synchronization of brain waves and depression (article)

Post by Владимир Никонов 2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 21:47

[html]
It is obvious that the brain of a person suffering from depression, completely suppresses waves of low amplitude and especially the absence of brain waves observed in the beta range. As for alpha waves in the right hemisphere of the brain there is a deficit in the same left - excess. </p>
<p>You can tell that the right hemisphere of the brain closely associated with emotions, requires a sedative action, whereas the left hemisphere is associated with logic and rational thought, requires special stimulation for the acquisition of a dominant role.</p>
<p>People suffering from or previously suffered from chronic depression, this is well understood. In a state of depression is no place for rational thoughts. If you are asked why you are depressed, you will not be able to give any coherent answer.</p>
<p>Based on the results of EEG studies, we can conclude that the sessions of entrainment for treating depression stimulate beta waves. In some cases, to achieve a sedative effect in the right hemisphere sent alpha waves while the left – beta with the aim of excitation.</p>
<p>In the study of seasonal affective disorder (especially seasonal depression) Katie Berg (Kathy Berg), and David Seaver (David Siever) used beta stimulation and in 85% of cases had achieved liberation from depression. Also decreased levels of anxiety and a tendency to overeat. And the level of motivation for actions increased. </p>
<p>I also note that gamma sessions are effective for this purpose. By itself, the effect of increasing energy is very useful depressed individuals, who often feel that they live “like a dream”.</p>
<p>a More recent study, which we now discuss, also included the stimulation of beta waves, and as a result we have also seen extraordinary results.</p>
<p>However, depression is a major theme. </p>

<p>It is not limited to people with low beta waves or frontal asymmetry of alpha waves. Each of us can experience depression. Every few weeks I receive messages from patients who take sessions for treating depression, coming after a hard day or a hard week, and unfortunately, the beta sessions mostly don't work. This is not surprising, since the sessions for healing from depression was developed for chronically depressed people, not to the mood after the dark day.</p>
<p> For getting rid of melancholy experienced as a result of the hardships of everyday life, much more suitable for a relaxing session. </p>
<p>Is the result of research conducted for these purposes. Dr. Norman Shelly (Dr. Norman Shealy) investigated the effect of 30 –minute stimulation frequency of 10 Hz and found that this was sufficient to overcome the depression in 60% of cases. He also noted the increase in serotonin levels.</p>
<p>High levels of stress, anxiety, insomnia can also cause depression. It can help the session theta. But be careful with slow frequencies, especially theta and Delta. Two independent from each other research (lane (Lane), 1998, Wabi (Wahbeh), 2007) showed that theta and/or Delta increase the level of depression (POMS according to tests, tests the categories of mood). Interesting: the lane study showed that beta decreases the level of depression.</p>
<p>Now to new research.</p>
<p> David Cantor (Cantor David) published some details of the use of entrainment for treating depression at the annual conference of the society for EEG and clinical neurology.</p>
<p>He spent stimulation at a frequency of 14 Hz daily for 4 weeks, using pulsing tones and led glasses.</p>
<p>Here are the results:</p>

<p><em>4 weeks, [on a Scale and Beck depression] testing has shown “tremendous decline” in the level of depression in the group receiving treatment, compared with the lack of results in the control group (not receiving treatment), said Dr. Cantor.</em></p>
<p><em>Test </em><em>QEEG</em><em> (quantitative EEG) have also shown neurophysiological changes in the group receiving treatment (but not in the control group), as evidenced by the participants on the improvement of mood. “Changes </em><em>QEEG</em><em> we have seen, took place in the frontal areas of the brain, as proven by other studies to improve mood,” he said.</em></p>
<p><em>the groups Then swapped so that the control group began to receive treatment, and Vice versa, for 4 weeks. </em></p>
<p><em>In the group receiving treatment were noted results similar to the results of the first phase of the study, but the group that took the treatment in the first phase of research, <strong>showed a stable long-lasting effect of treatment, both behavioral and neurophysiological, even after a 4-week break.</strong> “This is a measure of duration of effect of this therapy,” said Dr. Cantor. </em><br>
a <em>...</em><br>

a <em>“For your information, perhaps this is the first study which used the method of mutual substitution groups, and in which the audio-visual synchronization of the given changes in brain function in specific areas that are responsible for the mood of the person.”</em></p>
<p>I think it is especially important that the effect continues even after the cessation of stimulation. I can confirm with my own experience. I almost completely abandoned the stimulation against depression after two months of continuous daily training.</p>
<p> about the stability of the synchronization results being a perennial debate. Some books in the field of neurological feedback that I have read, deny the existence of this phenomenon, however, an increasing amount of evidence to the contrary.</p>
<p> Obviously, synchronization of brain waves increases the “flexibility” of the brain, i.e. the ability to switch from one state to another. For the treatment of disorders of attention and General strengthening cognitive function, the effect was, according to studies, a very long time, and now, perhaps, we see the same result in other problems such as depression.</p><p>Source: <a href="http://www.mindupdate.com/2008/04/brain ... epression/"> mindupdate.com</a></p>[/html]<